Mountain Biking Highlight
The Weißenstein was already of strategic importance in the Middle Ages. Due to its exposed location you could look up to Kulmbach on the Plassenburg and to other prominent points. Therefore, the white stone was integrated into the margrave's waiting system. The system of waiting towers had become necessary, since the Guttenberger feud in the year 1497 between the margrave Friedrich and Moritz von Guttenberg led again and again to looting in the margrave area. The goal of the system was to quickly locate such robber baron attacks and fight them with armed troops. The "captain on the mountains" Kunz von Wirsberg worked out in 1498 a waiting order, which provided 18 permanently occupied signal stations. Each signal station got a tower with two to three floors and was always occupied by two guards. These had the task of day and night to observe the other towers and the environment and to give an alarm if necessary. The former transmission system was very primitive and consisted of fire at night and smoke during the day.Helmut Hennig assumes that over time there were three towers.  A first plant, presumably made of wood, could already have existed during the time of the burgrave Friedrich V. The waiting order of 1498 already made specific guidelines u. a. over height and crew, so that this standard preceded predecessor buildings. Before the Thirty Years War, the waiting was busy and there were always wars and feuds that made them necessary. Then it was the War of the Spanish Succession, which made the renewed occupation of the waiting sensible. Old waiting was repaired or rebuilt, but then they fell again. During the construction of the observation tower from 1898, the foundations of the medieval Wartturm were uncovered.Further information: de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weißensteinturm
April 6, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!