Bike Touring Highlight
The former prince-bishop's hunting lodge is a listed half-timbered building in Hövelhof. Currently it is used as a Catholic rectory.
The former hunting lodge stands on a part of the grounds of the former Hövelhof, an ancient courtyard closely linked to the origins of the municipality. It existed since the time around 1000 and was mentioned in 1446 in a tax list. The yard was destroyed by fire in 1903.
The half-timbered building was built in 1661 for the Paderborn Prince-Bishop Adolf von der Recke, who owned the Hövelhof, as a hunting lodge. Since 1715 it is used as a rectory for the Catholic parish church. The building is in the center, the entire area was originally re-sized. The simple, two-storey building is covered with a pitched roof. At the four corners there are four diagonally placed stanchions. The porch at the entrance was built around 1780. The half-timbered houses of the 18th and the parish barns of the 19th century are preserved from the half-timbered buildings. The right of the two outbuildings is designated 1774. The castle is the oldest building in Hövelhof.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!