Hiking Highlight (Segment)
The Hamburg Fish Market attracts up to 70,000 visitors every Sunday to the Elbe.
Address Große Elbstraße 9
Summer time (March 15 to November 14):
Sundays from 5 to 9:30
Winter time (15 November to 14 March):
Sundays from 7 to 9:30
U3 stop Landungsbrücken
S1, S3 station Reeperbahn
Bus 112 stop FischmarktParking at Edgar-Engelhard-Kai and Van-der-Smissen-Straße
December 4, 2017
The well-known building at the fish market was planned and built in 1880 as a steam mill by Albert Petersen.
At the end of the 18th century, steam-driven mills replaced the classic wind and water mills, making the work independent of the weather conditions and thus reliable. Thus, in 1880, a steam mill was built in what is now the Stadtlager building. The imposing brick building is located directly on the Grosse Elbstrasse 27 in Hamburg Altona next to the wooden harbor, the fish auction hall and the fish market on the Norderelbe. From 1903 to 1904, a silo building was added for storage purposes.
In the late nineties, the building was upgraded to four floors, which are now used as penthouses. The glass porches serve as winter gardens and balconies. From 1998 to 2001, the entire conversion into a residential and commercial building with the architect Jan Störmer took place. The city warehouse can be protected against the storm surge waterproof doors and allows a bridge on the other side of the street higher to the Stilwerk. For reasons of space, a so-called park paternoster was installed in the old silo, which automatically parks and returns cars on several levels. The middle silo building also received a twelve-meter-high pitched roof with copper panels during the conversion, as it had done in earlier times. The ensemble's other parts of the building also have copper plates, which over time acquire a green patina.
December 5, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!