Road Cycling Highlight
In the entrance area of the pilgrimage chapel, you can admire the jerseys of the Mallorcan cycling world champion Guillermo Mortimer.
In 1348, when half of the inhabitants of Felanitx were killed by the plague, the city council decided to build a church on the nearby mountain called Sant Salvador, thanking them for the salvation of the remaining inhabitants, which was completed a year later. The present church was built in the years 1707-1734 and was built because the first one was no longer up to the pilgrims who came up the mountain during the holidays.
The town of Felanitx, which until then was the owner of the Sant Salvador, auctioned off the site in 1885. The new owner was the Felanitx citizen Don Antonio Pug, who was also bishop of Puerto Rico. He finally surrendered the complex to the diocese of Mallorca, which entrusted it to a brotherhood of hermit monks.
The time of the monks, however, was finally over in 1992 at Sant Salvador. Since then, the estate has been managed by two Majorcan families and the small room rental has become a hotel.
May 13, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.