Mountain Biking Highlight
The name derives - as with the older sister castle Altleiningen 5 km southwest - from the probably Franconian counts of Leiningen, who previously owned the Leiningerland.The castle was built around 1240 by Count Friedrich III. from Leiningen-Dagsburg. Together with the Battenberg Castle opposite (south line 1400 m), she checked the entrance to the Eckbach valley. Through various lines of the Leininger she remained in her sole property for more than 200 years.In 1468, Elector Frederick the Victorious of the Palatinate interfered in lineage inheritance disputes and took possession of the castle by force. In 1508 a comparison was made between several stages: the castle was divided between the diocese of Worms and the counts of Leiningen-Westerburg.In 1525, during the Peasants' War, the castle was opened to the rebellious peasants without a struggle. However, the friendly Countess Eva (1481–1543) catered to the rebellious peasants, leaving the castle without causing any major damage. The local poet Paul Münch describes this historically guaranteed episode in his Palatinate dialect poem The Countess Eva vun Neileininge.  Even in the Thirty Years' War, the castle suffered only minor damage.However, during the Palatinate War of Succession, the French troops burned down the entire complex in 1690. The two owners, Leiningen-Westerburg and Bistum Worms, were subsequently unable to agree on the reconstruction - Leiningen was in favor, but Worms opposed it. In 1767, Karl von Leiningen-Westerburg finally sold the half of Leiningen to the diocese of Worms.In the wake of the French Revolution, the castle ruins were secularized and became the property of the municipality of Neuleiningen in 1804. She sold them four years later; In 1874, Count Karl Emich of Leiningen-Westerburg-Neuleiningen (1856–1906) bought it back for his family.
March 28, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.