Bike Touring Highlight
Six days after the death of Theodor Heuss, the first German President, the square received its current name on December 18, 1963.
The Eternal Flame has been burning on the square since 1955 as a memorial to the victims of flight and displacement. The Blauer Obelisk fountain sculpture has been added to the square since 1995.
May 9, 2019
The Memorial with the Eternal Flame was erected in 1955 by the "Landsmannschaften des deutschen Heimatvertriebenen" on the former Chancellor's Square (Theodor-Heuss-Platz since 1963 and inaugurated by Theodor Heuss by the lighting of the flame.) It is an artificial stone block with an iron sacrificial shell It was not destroyed after the reunification, but was preserved as a memorial to the victims of flight and expulsion Source: berlin.de/ba-charlottenburg-wilmersdorf /ueber-den-bezirk/kultur-und-wissenschaft/skulpturen-und-denkmale/artikel.155656.php
April 28, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.