Nordic Walking Highlight
The Armesberg (731 m above sea level) is a widely visible, wooded basalt cone southeast of Zinst. It is located on the old trade route from Eger to Nuremberg. On the summit is a historically valuable and listed pilgrimage church. Up to Armesberg lead numerous hiking trails and bicycle routes. The hallmark of the mountain is the artfully designed Stations of the Cross and the almost entirely basalt summit. The Armesberg forms the watershed between Fichtel and Haidenaab and at the same time a demarcation of the Steinwald to the west. The region Armesberg was already settled in the 12th century, when the Leuchtenberger cultivated the swamps and the dense jungle around the mountain and thus created a homely area. This is also evidenced by a fief book of Leuchtenberger from the 14th century. Even then, the still existing place "Godas" is named as Lichtenberg fief.
Only a dumb witness remains of the marsh and the jungle: the Fichtelnaab, which flows through the village of Trevesen, at the foot of the Armesberg. By the way, there should also have been a robber baron's castle here, which is not particularly surprising: the dense forests were an ideal hiding place for criminals and it was not easy, the mountain from the south and west side, so the side of the area administrator, the Waldecker, to climb because he is too steep there. Even in the Thirty Years War, the residents hid in the dense forests in front of the Swedes, often together with their possessions and their animals.
Formerly located below the hilltop Michaelskapelle with three apartments for arriving or passing through clergy. On September 12, 1706, the chapel was dedicated to Saint Michael, but the building decayed over time; a fire in 1841 gave the ailing church the rest.
April 25, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!