Road Cycling Highlight
The center of the district is the complex of the Vogelsburg monastery. This site was already settled in the Paleolithic Age and was subsequently used by various cultures as a settlement site. In the Bronze Age, the striking point on the Main Loop was converted into a fortification. With the Franconian settlement in the 5th century AD, the fortifications were further expanded and converted into a royal court. 
The estate was given away in the 9th century and the recipient was Fulda Monastery. The 11th century brought another change of ownership when the rising Counts of Castell seized the castle. Count Hermann zu Castell converted the complex into a monastery of the Carmelite order in 1282. During the German Peasants' War in 1525, the buildings suffered so much that the monastery was subsequently administered from Würzburg. With secularization it came into private hands in 1803 and became part of the Escherndorf district.
Towards the end of the 19th century, the mountain and the monastery complex began to attract tourists from nearby Würzburg. The Vogelsburg, which was part of the Gerolzhofen district office, was given its own stop on the Mainschleife Railway, which was already closed in 1922. Today, most of the wasteland buildings are part of the Würzburg Juliusspital Foundation.  From November 2013 to July 2015, the Vogelsburg was modernized and converted into a hotel.
July 10, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.