Mountain Biking Highlight
On the 585 meters above sea level highest elevation of the Dinkelberg lies the lookout tower "HOHE FLUM". The Hohe Flum tower has a varied history behind it. In 1830 it was citizens from the area of Schopfheim who had the idea to build an observation tower on this mountain level. In 1873, the pharmacist Fleiner as chairman of the Tower Construction Commission was ordered by fundraising to collect the estimated amount of approximately 620 guilders. At a song festival 773 guilders came together. Actual construction costs amounted to 1,515 guilders and 52 kreuzers in the final bill. Finally, it was the community Wiechs, which took over the tower for a balance of 560 marks the owner (in the meantime, the currency was in Baden from gulden to Mark) At a housewarming on 08.08.1874 the tower was made accessible to the public. 1914-18 served the tower in the First World War as an aerial observation post. After that, the tower disintegrated. It was thanks to an initiative of the Schwarzwaldverein Schopfheim in the year 1924, which provided 100 marks, that the community Wiechs renovated the tower with additional costs of 1 000 marks and saved it from total decay. Also in the Second World War 1939-1945 the tower served again as observation platform for hostile air raids. Today the tower, which is surrounded by eleven stately old linden trees, is a popular place where the words of the pharmacist Fleiner spoken at the inauguration ceremony: "Peace to the States! Freedom to the peoples! Joyfulness to all who visit this height!" again in their meaning of particular importance. (Source: Wikipedia)
August 26, 2016
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!