Road Cycling Highlight
The Schlossplatz forms the center of the historic old town within the historic pentagon of the Hessian state capital Wiesbaden. It is surrounded by the former city palace of the Nassau Dukes, the Old Town Hall, the New Town Hall and the Market Church. In its center stands the market fountain of 1753.
Incidentally, it is also called marketplace, because here stands the market well and affects the market street. The market square with the market column is located since 1902 above the market cellar behind the New Town Hall and the market church on Dern's grounds.- City Castle
The north side of the square dominates the former municipal lock of the Nassau Dukes, whose preserved historic interiors stand in contrast to its plain exterior. During Wiesbaden's time as a world resort, Kaiser Wilhelm II used the Stadtschloss as a residence during his numerous stays. Today, the Hessian state parliament is housed here. The plenary hall from the 1960s in the courtyard was demolished in 2004 before 2008 was inaugurated at the same place the new building of the plenary hall.- Kaiser-Wilhelm-Heilanstalt and Kavaliershaus
Both buildings connect to the right wing of the castle and today belong to the palace complex with the Hessian state parliament. The buildings were badly damaged during the Second World War, only the facades could be restored to their original state. The cavalier house was adapted after the war to the height of the city castle and received another floor. The Kaiser-Wilhelm-Heilanstalt, today called only Wilhelmbau, was built in 1868-1871 as a military hospital. Striking is the larger than life bust of Kaiser Wilhelm I. in the red-plastered façade.- Market church
Built in 1853-1862 by Carl Boos Protestant Marktkirche with its 5 towers, of which the 98 m high main tower is the tallest building in the city, was built as Nassauer Landesdom after the model of Schinkel Friedrichswerder Church in Berlin as the largest brick building Nassau- New Town Hall + mosaic
On the south side of the palace square, opposite the castle, stands the 1884 to 1887 built New Town Hall. The building was damaged during World War II and restored in a simplified form. The once imposing main gable made of red sandstone was omitted. In front of the New Town Hall, a mosaic was placed in 2004 by donations, on a historic traffic island dating back to 1905, which shows the imperial imperial eagle with the black and white squared shield on his chest.- The old City Hall
The Old Town Hall (Marktstraße 16) on the west side of the square is also the oldest building in the city and was built between 1609 and 1610 as a Renaissance building with a massive ground floor and colored half-timbered floor with bay windows and high gables. In 1828, all half-timbering was replaced by stone masonry. Today, the old town hall is used as a registry office.- Market well
Between Old Town Hall and City Palace stands since 1753 the market well. The octagonal basin made of red sandstone is decorated with reliefs. The octagonal fountain stick is crowned by a golden Nassau lion. Erected he holds with his front paws an oval shield with a gold crown. The shield shows the coat of arms of Wiesbaden: three golden lilies on a blue background. The breastplate of the lion shows the coat of arms of the house Nassau. Around 1800, maids cleaned large vessels and the like in the well or cleaned vegetables and salad, where drinking water was brought here. Only a regulation banned the impurities. In 1901, the well was moved, in 1981, a reconstruction of the basin with a harder sandstone. In 2016, the lion was gilded again.de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlossplatz_(Wiesbaden)
November 11, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.