Road Cycling Highlight
Since 1836, the English spa guests in the hotels 'Four Seasons' and 'Rose' held services to the Anglican Church and were allowed to use since 1837 during the summer months, the Protestant church on Mauritiusplatz. In the following years, several English families settled in Wiesbaden. They planned repeatedly, first in 1844 and then in 1860, the construction of their own church. Due to numerous financial and internal difficulties of the community, however, the plan could be realized later. 1863-1865 the English church was built. In 1887/88, the three-bay room was extended by a choir and the side tower. The church was destroyed during the Second World War, rebuilt until 1950 and again struck in 1966 by a fire. From the interior, the triumphal cross, the baptismal font and an oil painting have been preserved. The church is now used as a place of worship for members of the English-speaking world resident here.wiesbaden.de/kultur/stadtgeschichte/facetten-stadtgeschichte/englische-kirche.php
November 11, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.