Mountain Biking Highlight
The chapel "Our Lady in the Woods" was donated by the Lords of Hardheim around the year 1400 and later additionally sacred to St. Catherine. The associated hermitage is detectable since 1479. Knight Wolf von Hardheim tried in the 1550s from the "Kappel" starting in Hardheim to carry out the Reformation. He commissioned the Protestant pastor of the neighboring village, Johann Weinlein from Höpfingen, in the Kappel sermons to hold the new faith instead of Catholic masses.
In 1608, the Würzburg Prince-Bishop Julius Echter vigorously enforces the re-catholization and forbids the sermons in the forest chapel. In the 17th century, pilgrimages to St. Catherine (25.11.) Began. In 1790 the Kaplle is dilapidated and the Würzburg Bishop approves the demolition. Since then, the ruin has survived in the forest. Since the 1960s, in the ruinous chapel once again a veneration of Mary instead.
November 7, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.