The Aegidientorplatz in the area of today's theater has been the site of cinemas since the early 1920s. Originally it was the hall of a hotel, which was rebuilt in 1924 to the Ufa Palace. In bomb attacks during the Second World War, the building was destroyed in 1943 and rebuilt in 1953 slightly offset. The new building of the Theater am Aegi was opened in 1953 as the "most modern theater in Hanover". It included a first performance cinema and an additional stage for artistic and musical performances. The then Landesbühne Hannover and the Thalia Theater had their regular venue here from 1958, but there was no ensemble of the "Aegi". The building was destroyed in 1964 by a major fire in large parts. When it was restored, it was refitted and expanded to 1,110 seats. In 1967 the reopening took place as a big theater and as a replacement for the Schauspielhaus.
In 1978 the Theater am Aegi was given a modern appearance by a new façade. In 1994, the closure of the publicly subsidized venues threatened, after the new Schauspielhaus Hannover had been built in 1992. As a result of the commitment of a group of people interested in culture and theater from Hannover and a new concept, the traditional venue was preserved. (Wikipedia)
November 18, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!