High above Lake Baldeney the remains of medieval Isenburg tower on a rocky terrain spur. 750 years ago, it was one of the largest and most important fortifications in the region, from which the Essen area was dominated. After the destruction of the Hattinger Isenburg and the execution of Count Frederick because of a robbery, in which the Archbishop Engelbert died of Cologne, built around 1240 his son Dietrich von Isenberg the Essen plant to the extensive inheritance of his father in the field of wealthy abbeys Food and be reclaimed. His hopes were shattered when in 1244 the archbishop of Cologne conquered Isenburg. After only about half a century, the castle was taken in 1288 by the Earl of the Mark, destroyed and not rebuilt. The ruin fell over the years and was overgrown by the forest. Only about 70 years ago, larger parts were dug up and made accessible.
The entire castle complex is under construction and Bodendenkmalschutz and is owned by the city of Essen.
In September 2002, a historical adventure trail was opened on the castle grounds, providing visitors with information on the history and life of the castle and its inhabitants on six information boards. The funding was provided by the foundation for the beautification of the city of Essen.
October 22, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!