Road Cycling Highlight
The Ernst Walz Bridge is the third of the central Neckar bridges in Heidelberg, after the Karl Theodor Bridge ("Old Bridge") and the Theodor Heuss Bridge, formerly Friedrichsbrücke. It connects the districts Bergheim and Neuenheim. It is located on an important north-south traffic axis, which comes in the north of the Berliner Straße, continues in the south on the Mittermaierstraße. The Ernst Walz Bridge was opened to traffic on 14 April 1928 as the third road bridge over the Neckar near Heidelberg. Originally, it was to connect to the Neuenheimer Feldplaned Central Cemetery, later, however, this area was otherwise used. It is named after the former Mayor of Heidelberg Ernst Walz (1859-1941). From 1933 to 1945 she wore the name Hindenburgbrücke. Like the other bridges in Heidelberg, it was blown up by the Wehrmacht on March 29, 1945, the day before the American 63rd Infantry Division invaded the city and rebuilt in 1950.🚴♂️Type: beam bridge
Crossing Neckar, B 37
Total length: 217.00 m
Width: 27.00 m
Headroom ship: unknown
Construction time: 1928/1950
Use: - Road bridge and tram
- public pedestrian and bicycle bridgede.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst-Walz-Brücke
September 22, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.