Bike Touring Highlight
The ox-eye and the sphinx resting on a large cuboid were built in 1786 by the court sculptor Martin Gottlieb Klauer to the design of the court painter Georg Melchior Kraus. Both elements frame the sources of the Läutra.
The Läutraquellen spring from a geological disturbance in great depth. The very calcareous water of the springs is unusually clear and has a constant temperature of 8.5 degrees Celsius throughout the year. The small brook Läutra flows into the Ilm after only a few meters.
The artificially created stone circle, which gave this place the name "Ochsenauge", once served as a washing place, and the name "Läutraquellen" was derived from the term used at that time to wash the linen.
The Ox Eye and the Sphinx are among the oldest design elements of the Ilmpark. Franz Liszt also spent a lot of time there. It was his favorite place. (Weimar read)
Definitely worth a break on the tour!
The Leutraquelle with Sphinx grotto and the Leutrabach should have arisen around 1786. The source was artificially covered with stones. The water rises in the middle of a circular structure directly from the earth to the daylight and is then passed through the small, only a few meters long brook in the Ilm. The water is crystal clear and has a constant temperature of 8.5 ° C.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!