Between 1280 and 1300, the Counts of Spiegelberg built a moated castle as the center of their county and securing the old army and trade route from Aachen to Königsberg, which led near the castle on a truncheon through a swamp area. 1 303 the castle was first mentioned in a document with its new establishment. After the castle was heavily damaged during the "Spiegelberger feud" in 1434 (the counts were branded as robber barons), the meanwhile impoverished Spiegelberg inherited the county of Pyrmont in 1494 and rebuilt the castle in the style of the early Renaissance. The new seat of the Spiegelberg counts was the castle Pyrmont, on the castle Coppenbrügge remained a steward.
From 1631 the castle was in the Nassauischen possession and was already 1 697 dilapidated. At that time, it was the meeting point of Tsar Peter the Great on his journey with the "Great Embassy" from Moscow to Amsterdam with the Elector Sophie of Hanover and her daughter Sophie Charlotte of Hanover.
In the 18th century, the castle was renovated with the house Nassau-Orange castle-like in the style of the Baroque. After the sale of County 1 81 9 to the Kingdom of Hanover, the castle building was demolished in 1822 and around 1870 followed the farm buildings to a half-timbered house (office building) at the back of the courtyard. In 1945, the ruin was briefly used as a quarry. After that, the former office building was until 1956 the seat of the Coppenbrügger district court and has been used since 1 986 as a museum.
The museum in Coppenbrügge can be found in the center of the town in the former moated castle of the Counts of Spiegelberg. In addition to the history of the county Spiegelberg, the exhibition rooms show the natural history of the home environment with the Heights Ith and Osterwald and a selection of former settled crafts.
The museum is open every day, except Mondays, from 11:00 to 1:00.
August 21, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!