Mountain Biking Highlight
The parish of Kreuzauffindung Schönfeld has been part of the parish association St. Salvator Hollfelder Land since 01.09.2006. It has about 520 Catholics of about 1430 inhabitants.
Already in 1390 a Martin Förtsch von Thurnau donated his Schönfelder tithing to the construction of a chapel, which later as the Neustetter, called striker, had its headquarters in Schönfeld, was extended to a castle chapel. The nobility of the Neustetter striker had a mighty castle in Schönfeld.
In 1397, the church was incorporated into the Augustinerchorstift Neunkirchen am Brand. At the request of the monastery, Pope Boniface IX. in the same year Schönfeld to the parish.
The present parish church, which emerged from the castle chapel, is a well-preserved building from the years 1619-1625. The church tower was built in 1620.
The church itself is a massive Gothic building. Above the west entrance (main entrance) the sovereign coat of arms of the prince bishop Joh. Gottfried of Aschhausen is attached by a Kronacher sculptor.
Inside there are two epithaphies, at the altar of Mary by Elisabeth Neustetter, and in the other at the Heart of Jesus altar by Sebastian Neustetter, her husband. In addition to the epithaphs, there are three coats of arms from Neustettern in the church.
The equipment of the parish church:
The high altar is early Baroque, on the side St. Heinrich and Kunigunde, each with a half Dommodell, above angel and fine ray mother god. The very good altarpiece of the crucifixion with an exquisite miniature portrait of the founder pastor Joh. Hildensperger, canon of St. Gangolf in Bamberg and the upper small image of the resurrection are probably works of Johann Rottenhammer to Bamberg. The tabernacle dates from 1760 and is a beautiful rococo work.
The cross altar with life-size crucifix dates from the middle of the 17th century, the other figures and framing around 1808 by the sculptor Friedrich Theiler from Ebermannstadt.
The baptismal font comes from the old castle chapel, carved from sandstone in the form of a calyx on a hexagon, at the top of the wreath are the twelve messengers, on the shaft are the coats of arms of Sebastian Neustetter d. J.
Also the death shield of Sebastian Neustetter d. Older is still present. From the tombstone of Sebastian Neustetter d. Ä. died 1562, the inscription has been preserved at the pulpit entrance.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!