Tobermory distillery is a Scotch whiskey distillery situated on the Hebridean island of Mull, Scotland in the village of Tobermory. The distillery, which was formerly known as Ledaig, was founded in 1798 and has changed hands several times, having undergone a number of periods of closure. The only distillery on Mull, it is currently owned by Burn Stewart Distillers, a subsidiary of Distell Group Limited of South Africa. Its main product, Tobermory single malt, is used in the blends Scottish Leader and Black Bottle. The distillery thus produces a smaller amount of peated whiskey, which remains known under the former name, Ledaig.
The Tobermory Distillery was founded in 1798, but was closed for extended periods in the 19th century. From 1916 to 1930 she was owned by Distillers Company Ltd. (DCL) and closed again from 1930 to 1972. In 1972 the distillery became the Ledaig Distillery (Tobermory) Ltd. reopened, now even expanded to 4 stills, but soon had to close after a bankruptcy in 1975. In 1978, the distillery was sold to Kirkleavington Property and renamed Tobermory again. From 1981 to 1989, the distillery was closed, from 1990 was again produced on a small scale. In 1993 the distillery was built by Burn Stewart Distillers Ltd. accepted. In 2013, the South African Distell Group Ltd. bought. the Burn Stewart Distillers for £ 160m. On March 31, 2017, the distillery ceased production for about 24 months to carry out remedial work on the site.
August 12, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!