The history of the pier Heringsdorf began in the years 1891 to 1893. During this time, the 500 -meter-long Kaiser Wilhelm Bridge was built from wood.
It was equipped with turrets and colonnades and was the location of restaurants and shops. About 10 years after the inauguration, it was extended by a side jetty. After the Second World War, the pier visibly deteriorated and was completely destroyed by a fire in 1957. In 1995, the pier was rebuilt in almost the same place, but it did not follow the architectural model of the old bridge. At 508 meters, it is the longest of its kind in continental Europe today.
The building is also partially covered on the lake side and has at the end of an attractive restaurant and a side jetty, from which one can undertake, for example, trips to Świnoujście.
On the shore, a building complex is integrated into the pier, where you can even stay in comfortably furnished apartments. Furthermore, this includes the shell museum, restaurants, shops and a cinema.
March 14, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!