The Gasthof zur Sonne is probably the oldest building and one of the few stone houses in the city, whose walls withstood the various war damage and fires, while half-timbered houses burned down to the ground floor foundations.From 1371 to 1687 the house was owned by different generations of the nobles of Neuenstein and known as "Neuensteiner Hof". Proof of this from 1629 is the beautiful sandstone emblem above the entrance to the main street, which was built by Hans Adam von Neuenstein (six-spoked wheel) and his wife Anna Maria. Wrath of Bulach (star) was attached.1687 acquired the Oppenauer innkeeper Johann Peter Mast the house for "1,400 gulden and a draft horse". After his marriage on January 22, 1687 with Maria Franziska Sentzin he opens the inn to the sun in this house. For the naming he had many reasons, because the new host was the son of the Oppenauer solar host Martin Mast and the coat of arms of Neuenstein, the wheel and the star of the wrath of Bulach are also symbols of the sun.Just two years after the takeover, the new landlords had a terrible stroke of fate by the destruction of the entire city by the French army in the Palatinate War of Succession to master. At the fire of 1689, the inn was badly affected. Parts of the building, however, were preserved, such as the archway from 1619 in the Bahnhofstrasse and the coat of arms over the door to the main street from 1629.
In 1696 Johan Peter Mast immortalized himself in a wooden pillar in today's "Stadl" with his initials JMP, which indicates a resumption of economic activity in the same year.From 1687 to 222 years long, various members of the known in the old Oberkirch family host family were on the sun until the inn in 1909 passed to the brewery owner Theodor Braun, who in turn sold in 1919 to Albert Ihling.This left the back room next to a Neo-Classical style 1920 by the Lautenbacher art and church painter Rieger paint. The pictures show the guild arms of carpenters, bricklayers, bakers, blacksmiths, painters, tailors, butchers and metalworkers. Particularly interesting are the landscapes of Lautenbach, a picture of the cemetery chapel in the upper village, a picture of All Saints' Day, which goes back to an oil painting by Karl Christoph Freiherr Roeder von Diersburg shown in the Oberkirch Museum and a landscape representation of Oberkirch with the ruins of Schauenburg in the foreground and in the wood paneling of the former upper gate tower of the city fortification, also called rogue tower, since he also served as a prison.
The corner of Bahnhofstrasse adorns a lavish tavern sign.Source: Rudolf Hans Zillgith
August 7, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!