Bike Touring Highlight
The site of the former coal mine Ewald has been extensively refurbished in recent years.
Adjacent, although a large commercial area has emerged, but the old industrial architecture stands out clearly.
In addition to a somewhat hidden beer garden on the back (to the dump), you can also strengthen yourself at the bakery in front of the tower. In addition, the former mine also houses the Revue Palace and a vintage car exhibition.
October 11, 2018
The site, which has undergone extensive refurbishment and has been cleared of contaminated sites, has already been marketed more than 60 percent since 2002. In 2007, the 18 hectares of logistics space were sold to international companies. The heritage-protected existing buildings have already been marketed to 70 percent. The hydrogen competence center H2Herten is being built on the northern part of the Ewald area. First settlements are the companies IdaTech Fuel Cells GmbH and Masterflex GmbH. At the beginning of 2009, the construction of the "Blue Tower" was started. As a demonstration plant, it will produce the hydrogen-rich Synthetic Natural Gas from biomass using the staged reforming process and will ultimately supply 13 megawatts of energy. In October 2009, a user center was opened to explore new uses of hydrogen as an energy carrier and fuel cell technology. As a further module, a wind-power electrolysis plant will be built with funding from the state of North Rhine-Westphalia to supply the user center with "green" hydrogen from wind power. In addition, the tourism office Herten was opened in 2010 in the former pay and light hall. The settlement of more than 20 new businesses has created 1,000 new jobs within a decade of the closure of the Ewald mine.
July 10, 2015
The beginnings of the colliery go back to the year 1872 with the Abteufarbeiten for shaft 1. He was with 624m at that time (1884) the deepest in the Ruhr area. In 1892, the shaft 2 went into operation. During the Second World War, the funding had to be increased. For this purpose, the shaft 7 was sunk as a central production well, whose double boom today visible from the expansion work from 1949 comes. The decommissioning took place in 2001.
The colliery includes the Halden Hoppenbruch and Hoheward to the east of the colliery, which have been converted into a recreational area.
The spacious area has been developed for new business. These include 18 hectares of logistics space, biomass gasification plants, hydrogen production and 20 other businesses, which created more than 1,000 new jobs as of 2002.
April 29, 2018
"Like many other coal mines in the Ruhr area at the time, the Ewald colliery also caused a shortage of manpower and therefore carried out several recruitment campaigns in Silesia, northern Bohemia and in the Ore Mountains The immigrants were built near the manhole settlements, the first of which was built on today's Elisabethstrasse and Sophienstrasse in 1874. A second shaft was opened in 1892. In 1954, the mine received the new central conveyor shaft 7, in which the entire central shaft was closed Promotion was lifted.Numerous historic buildings are still preserved, including a Malakow tower from 1875, the administration building built around 1900 next to the driveway and the opposite, held in neoclassical form office and chewing building from the 1920s. Following the decommissioning of the mine, the city of Herten and RAG Montan Immobilien GmbH developed a sophisticated utilization concept. The urban design by the architects Cino Zucci, Martin Halfmann and Peter Köster divides the "Project Ewald" into seven "strata": a rainwater channel, a valley of trees and a spacious promenade structure the complex, the historic building stock new commercial and office complexes faces. The element of water gives the location another distinctive profile.On the northern part of the site is the Hydrogen Competence Center Herten (H2H). Here, all stages of a possible hydrogen economy are developed and tested, from hydrogen production through logistics to application. The focus of production is the extraction of gas from the renewable energy source "biomass" in the "Blue Tower".
In the meantime Christian Stratmann's "RevuePalast" in the former heating center, an event location in the Maschinenhalle-Süd and the tourism office Herten in the former Lohn- und Lichthalle have already established several tourist uses on the site. In addition, a "classic car center" will be built in the manhole. "Source: route-industriekultur.ruhr/ankerpunkte/zeche-ewald.html
April 29, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!