In 1750, Giovanni Mazzoleni built the Fontana dei quattro continenti (fountain of the four continents) on the Piazza Grande. The statues on the fountain represent the then four known continents of Europe, Asia, Africa and America. The fountain marked the end of the Aqueduct Acquedotto Teresiano, built under Maria Theresia, which supplied water to the newly created Borgo Teresiano commercial district. On the occasion of the visit of Benito Mussolini, the fountain was moved in 1938 to the lapidary of the city. Only in 1970 he was rebuilt in the Piazza dell'Unità d'Italia.
July 31, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!