Schlosspark und Schloss Eller

Bike Touring Highlight

Recommended by 50 out of 53 cyclists

Tips

  • Chris

    Location and surroundings
    The former Eller Castle was the nucleus of the village Eller, which was an independent municipality until 1909 and is located southeast of Düsseldorf city center. Today's castle with its outbuildings is surrounded by Eller Castle Park, which was created in the shape of an English landscape park and is one of the largest parks in Düsseldorf with an area of ​​more than 30 hectares. The Inselpark am Schloss was designed in the first half of the 19th century, the south adjacent forest park about 80 years later, at the beginning of the 20th century. The park has next to the castle pond over a bird sanctuary, both of which are fed by the Eselsbach. Adjacent is the former estate belonging to the castle Eller, which is still used for agriculture today. The castle, which was once located far from the gates of Dusseldorf in a rural environment, is now a green island surrounded by typical suburban housing estates of the 20th century, bordered by the Cologne-Duisburg railway line, the A46 motorway and the Heidelberger and Deutzer Straße. The nearby city forests Eller forest followed by Unterbacher lake and Hasseler forest have been preserved as remnants of the former Wäldereien. Source: Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • June 29, 2018

  • Chris

    If the park or the castle is on the tour, you should stay here and "shoot" some beautiful pictures!

    translated byView Original
    • June 29, 2018

  • Chris

    story
    The Eller Castle from the Middle Ages to 1800, part 1
    The castle Eller was first mentioned in 1309 as castrum Elnere, but was certainly far older, since the lords of Elnere have been called since 1151 as influential and wealthy knights and sex may have been the largest landowners in today's city of Dusseldorf. Eller's family died out in 1819 and continues in the name of today's barons of Eller-Eberstein. Already in 1230 was reported by a, later dedicated to St. Gertrude, castle chapel, which was relocated in 1827 as a parish church of St. Gertrude in the village. A memorial stone donated in 1950 by the local Kolping family for the old Gertrudiskapelle is now located at its former location in front of the castle. After the lords of Eller successfully resisted until the 15th century with their political and military power against the establishment of full sovereignty by the Counts and Dukes of Berg, the castle was finally conquered in 1424 by Duke Adolf of Jülich-Berg and the Knight Henry of Elnere / Eller only return against vows of honor. Weakened by frequent divisions, the lords of Eller had to sell their ancestral home in 1448 to Knight Adolf von Quade, who laid down the old castle and instead built a water castle until 1469. This castle, consisting essentially of the surviving tower, now lay on a, formed by the inner moat, almost square island and was surrounded by the outer moat of another island with forecourt and farmyard. Source: Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • June 29, 2018

  • Chris

    story
    The Eller Castle from the Middle Ages to 1800, part 2
    From the old water castle Eller are no views, but only a 1821/22 created map with listing of the castle building obtained, after which one must imagine this castle similar to the Quadenhof in neighboring Gerresheim, when this was still surrounded by water. After Bertram Quade died in 1599 without descendants, Duke Johann Wilhelm of Jülich-Kleve-Berg Eller moved as a completed man's loan. After a twenty-year lawsuit over possession, Johann von Harff finally inherited the legacy in 1621. One of his descendants, Freiherr Josef Clemens von Weichs, exchanged castle Eller in 1710 with the Jülich Elector Johann Wilhelm (Jan Wellem) against Haus Schönforst near Aachen. The prince had the manor converted into a state domain the following year. In the following years, the castle deteriorated visibly, was in 1743 the official residence of the Bergische Obristjägermeister and finally served only as the dwelling of the district forester. Since 1775 was located immediately west of the outer bailey on the site of today's district museum, the first Eller cemetery, until this 1809 was relocated to the site of today's comprehensive school. Source: Wikipedia

    translated byView Original
    • June 29, 2018

In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!

or
Sign Up With Email

Top Touring Cycling Routes Featuring the Highlight ‘Schlosspark und Schloss Eller’

Location: Düsseldorf District, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Information

  • Elevation90 m

Most Visited During

  • Jan
  • Feb
  • Mar
  • Apr
  • May
  • Jun
  • Jul
  • Aug
  • Sep
  • Oct
  • Nov
  • Dec

Weather Forecast - Düsseldorf District