The Bauwerkwerkschule Eckernförde was founded in 1868 as a municipal building trade school of the city Eckernförde for the training of building craftsmen. Like other building trade schools, it developed into a training center for construction technicians and architects until the 20th century.
The importance of the school is stated in a press release by the University of Applied Sciences Kiel in 2006: The Bauwerkwerkschule Eckernförde developed its own profile soon after its founding despite difficult financial conditions and reached a quality standard in the education of architects in the first four decades reaches the German architectural community.
The new construction of the building school in the Kieler Straße was designed in 1869/70 by Germano Wanderley and Friedrich Faber.
In 1959, a new school building designed by Friedrich Spengelin was completed on the Lorenz-von-Stein-Ring.
Both the school building in Kieler Strasse and the Reeperbahn as well as the one in Lorenz-von-Stein-Ring are on the list of cultural monuments in Eckernförde.
Until its closure, the school belonged to the University of Applied Sciences Kiel, Department of Civil Engineering. For the winter semester 2007/08 the Eckernförde site was abandoned because the department was outsourced and integrated into the Faculty of Civil Engineering of the University of Applied Sciences Lübeck.
May 8, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.