Historical key data
When did the Alp come into Liechtenstein ownership?
Summary from the magazine Eintracht.
According to tradition, the alp already belonged to the Unterländer in 1826. After that, purchases and sales took place. What is certain is that on November 15, 1867, a document was drawn up and signed by the basic load replacement and state regulation commission and the authorized representatives of the cooperative. A few years later, however, the alpine rights were sold. Around the turn of the century, the lack of alpine pastures in the lowlands became more and more acute. Seven farmers (Lorenz Kind, Johann Hasler and Wilhelm Altenöder from Bendern; Josef Büchel and Fridolin Marxer from Ruggell; Franz Josef Batliner and Jakob Batliner from Eschen) bought the Tiefensee alp in 1907. Since then, the alp has been owned by the alp cooperative without interruption. Today the alpine cooperative has 16 members
Text / Source: Background paper on the situation in the Liechtenstein Alps
June 17, 2022
Tiefensee-Klesi Alp (comm. Eschen, Gamprin, Ruggell)
Alp east of the Hoher Frassen on the slope north-east of the Klesigrat in the Marultal (Grosses Walsertal), municipality of Nüziders (Vorarlberg), approx. 1300-1950 m above sea level, total area 176.2 ha, of which 81.9 ha are forest and 59 ha are productive grazing area. Tiefensee-Klesi is owned by a Liechtenstein cooperative (14 members in 2007); According to the statutes, the 34 grazing rights can only be acquired by farmers living in Eschen, Gamprin or Ruggell.
The alp, first mentioned around 1640, includes the Unteralp Tiefensee (shepherd's hut with stable, 1457 m above sea level, hunting lodge) and the Oberalp Klesi (alp building with stable, 1765 m above sea level). After the acquisition of grazing rights by the Eschner families Strub and Marxer in 1821, a large number of grazing rights on Tiefensee-Klesi were repeatedly owned by farmers from the Liechtenstein lowlands. In 1890, “the Alpelin above Tiefensee” belonged to Josef Büchel (Ruggell), Lorenz Kind (Bendern) and Josef Batliner (Eschen). In 1907 (28 grazing rights) and 1913 (six grazing rights), the alp became the property of today's cooperative, which was only legally founded in 1981.
Until about 1940 Kuhalp, since then Galtalp. Since 1997, the maximum stocking rate has been set at 45 livestock units. In 2007, 69 cattle from Eschen and Ruggell were summered on Tiefensee-Klesi. The alpine hunting ground is leased. The wood stock is owned by the municipality of Nüziders, but the alp has the right to purchase wood for its own use.
Text / Source: Historical Encyclopedia - Author: Johann Oehry
June 17, 2022
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!