Bike Touring Highlight
The Evangelical Lutheran St. Mary's Church in Basthorst bears the name of Our Lady Mary and was in former times a place of pilgrimage “To the holy body”; Significant fairs were held twice a year. The old Marienkirche was first mentioned in 1319, but was demolished in 1856 due to its dilapidation. The current church was redesigned and built in 1857-59 with considerable money sacrificed from the estate and the four villages belonging to the parish, namely Basthorst, Dahmker, Möhnsen and Mühlenrade under the supervision of the then patron and landlord Joseph Baron von Bruxelles and by C.A. Lohmeyer.
The church is a single-nave, neo-Gothic field stone church with a drawn-in five-eighth choir made of bricks and a pointedly helmeted 43 meter high west tower, which points to the church from all sides. The ship carries five wooden ribbed vaults and an arched choir arch. When looking at the field stone walls, it is noticeable that the mighty windows were converted into a pointed shape and that no layering of the stones was preferred, as in other buildings.
Source and further information:
October 3, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.