Bike Touring Highlight
In late Franconian times, in a document dated June 4, 898, the king of the Lotharingian empire, Zwentibold, donated a salhof in Gleuel (Gloulo) with 12 other hooves and the church, as well as goods in Selstena (Sielsdorf) to the Essen Monastery. This speaks both for the old age of the castle courtyard and for the church. The castle and the town came into the possession of the cathedral in the middle of the 13th century. The lieutenant Gerard von Gleuele fought with the Cologne against the Archbishop Konrad von Hochstaden in 1260.
June 18, 2020
The Baroque manor house of the castle was built in its present form in 1632. At that time, the Cologne councilor and merchant Johann von Cöllen had the redesigned with the gable to the courtyard wing (inscription in the gable top SOLI DEO GRATIA 1632). The lower southwest wing, with its curved stepped gable, facing the castle park is much older. He probably stood alone before cultivation and had two gullies on either side. In the new wing of 1632, the so-called Knights' Hall with its Cologne ceiling dating from 1682 is located on the ground floor. The wall painting, which is only rarely preserved in this style and therefore particularly valuable, dates back to the 19th century. Since the Middle Ages, Gleuel Castle has always been a fief of the Cologne cathedral chapter. With the secularization in 1802 she went into civil hands. In 1976, the moated castle was acquired by the architect Ulrich Ahlert, who has since extensively restored it and largely rebuilt the outer bailey on the old ground plan. In a wing of the bailey is a small, private car museum. The castle surrounded by a moat is located in a beautiful park, which is freely accessible.
May 21, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.