Mountain Biking Highlight
Leiferde is first documented in 1176 as "Lefforde" (from the Old Low German words "hlêo", hill and "fôrd", ford). The monastery Steter-burg owned here and had the right to half tithing. In the Thirty Years' War Leiferde was repeatedly affected by fighting around Wolfenbüttel.
In the 18th century, Leiferde was already a middle-sized village with four half arable farms, two farm workers, two half-husbands, six Kotsassen and one Brinksitzer. Only from 1838 began with the construction of the first German state railway west of Leiferde the extensions. As a replacement for a small chapel Leiferde 1864 received a new church (1), a simple, neo-Roman brick building. In 1999 she received the name "St. Christopher's Church ". In front of the church, a monument commemorates the cantor Ludwig Lüders, the inventor of the beet seed drill (c. 1855). As further examples of representative building towards the end of the 19th century, individual residential buildings (Castle 1) and the obelisks in the cemetery (3) are still preserved. In the center Leiferde could preserve its village character. However, many buildings lost substantial originality due to extensive renovations and changes. For this reason, only a few architectural historical buildings can be found today in Leiferde (2, 4). These are so scattered that they do not form a locality-defining group.
In 1974, the previously belonging to the district Wolfenbüttel place was incorporated into the city of Brunswick.
May 20, 2018
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!