In pre-Germanic times, the caves served as a refuge. In 1177, Bishop Ullrich built a castle. His opponent Heinrich the Lion, Duke of Saxony, destroyed the castle that was under construction. The princes of Saxony rebuilt it together. Later it served as the summer residence of the bishops of Halberstadt. The castle was destroyed by the Swedes in the Thirty Years' War.Water cave
Originally an underground room in the castle. There was a very rich well in the courtyard. A concrete basin was built in the water cave. The water was pumped up from the courtyard. The basin served as an elevated tank. The courtyard, the school building, the gardening, the castle, the parish house, the train station and the inn "Deutsches Haus" were supplied.halberstadt.de/de/hoehlenwohnungen-altenburg/hoehlenwohnungen-altenburg.html
October 18, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.