Bike Touring Highlight
In the summer and autumn of 1944, 1,700 Jewish girls and women deported from Hungary were deployed at the Frankfurt airport during construction and repair work. In the early summer of 1944, they were deported from Hungarian internment camps to Auschwitz and selected for work. The women were detained locally in the Walldorf concentration camp camp, which served as the branch office of the concentration camp Natzweiler-Struthof in Alsace. In November 1944, the camp in Walldorf was dissolved and the surviving women - around 1650 - transferred to Ravensbrück concentration camp. The vast majority of them no longer experienced the end of the war; they were murdered, died as a result of the conditions in Ravensbrück or on death marches.
Opened in September 2016, the Horváth Center, built over the remains of the former concentration camp external camp, is a place of remembrance of the horror and suffering that prevailed in 1944 in the outpost Walldorf. «It is a place that protects a historical ground monument from the time of the concentration camp branch office. And it is a place for young people who today want to deal with issues of social discrimination against minorities. »(Margit Horvath Foundation)
Opening hours: every first Sunday of the month from 2 pm to 5 pm
Further information: margit-horvath.de
August 21, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!