Mountain Biking Highlight
At about 536 meters above sea level highest mountain of Dinkelberg lies the lookout tower "HOHE FLUM". The Hohe Flum tower has a varied history behind it. In 1830 it was citizens from the area of Schopfheim who had the idea to build a lookout tower on this mountain level. In 1873, the pharmacist Fleiner as chairman of the tower construction commission was ordered by fundraising to collect the amount based on cost estimate of about 620 guilders. At a song festival 773 guilders came together. Actual construction costs amounted to 1,515 guilders and 52 kreuzers in the final bill. Finally, it was the community Wiechs, who took over the tower as the owner for a balance of 560 marks. (in the meantime, the currency in Baden was from gulden to mark) At a dedication ceremony on 08.08.1874 the tower was opened to the public. 1914-18 served the tower in the First World War as an aerial observation post. After that, the tower quickly disintegrated. It was thanks to an initiative of the Schwarzwaldverein Schopfheim in the year 1924, which provided 100 marks, that the community Wiechs renovated the tower with additional costs of 1 000 Mark and saved it from total decay. Also in the Second World War 1939-1945 the tower served again as observation platform for hostile air raids. The stone high Flum observation tower has a square base and 62 steps lead to the viewing platform. Today the tower, surrounded by eleven stately old linden trees, is a popular place where the words of the pharmacist Fleiner spoken at the inauguration ceremony: "Peace to the States "Freedom to the peoples! Gladness to all who visit this height!" again have a special meaning in their meaning. On August 9, 1999, there was a celebration for the 125th anniversary, in the apron of which the tower was thoroughly renovated. (Source: Wikipedia).
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!