Bike Touring Highlight
"Since 1925, the conveyor baskets of the Teutoburgia colliery in Herne have been standing still. But artists have kissed the ruin of the long slumber with the idea of "KunstWald". In the last few years, for example, a park has been created around the winding tower and the machine shop, which stimulates the senses.
At the southern edge of the landscape park Bladenhorst lies the KunstWald. Initiator of this project was the sound sculptor Christof Schläger. He has come up with the idea of devoting a piece of woodland to the art colliery. Already in 1987, the artist founded the association Teutoburgia e.V., which is committed to the preservation of historic coal mines and realizes art projects on the site. The idea of Schlägers vom KunstWald met with open ears at the Kommunalverband Ruhrgebiet, which acquired the colliery in 1992. A short time later, the association began the creative design of the park, in which a total of ten artists have participated.
In the center around the inspection pit of the former colliery there is an obelisk, eight cuboids and yew trees in alternation. Created fragrant gardens with aromas of rose, mint and lavender for a tour. "Zitatensteine", which visitors to the site encounter again and again, stimulate the imagination. Installations and art objects give the mine new sounds. It's hard to believe that soot and smoke were once in the air here for 14 years. To revive the mine, the mining relics had to be restored. In 1991, the time had come: as a monument of industrial history, the conveyor tower and machine hall shone in new splendor. Now the restored machine shop is regularly the scene of art and music projects. "
"Probably most of the former day care facilities have been demolished, but a German conveyor tower from 1907/08 and a nacelle still mark the location of the former Teutoburgia colliery and are embedded in a" artificial forest "which, in addition to modern sculptures, also outlines the demolished colliery Modern art is also the topic in the machine hall, where the association Teutoburgia organizes exhibitions and workshops.The Teutoburgia colliery was granted neither a long nor a successful operating time. It is true that the fields were already given out shortly after the middle of the 19th century, but it was not until 1909 that the work in progress for the shafts 1 and 2 began and after another two years the mining began. However, the hopes put into the bill did not come true. The pit field was too small and disturbed storage conditions prevented a profitable mining of coal. After a fourteen-year operating period, the colliery was shut down in 1925 and taken over the pit field of the adjacent colliery Erin in Castrop-Rauxel. During this short period of time, there were two blown-up explosions in 1911 and 1912, each costing six miners. "Source: route-industriekultur.ruhr/themenrouten/22-mythos-ruhrgebiet/kunstwald-zeche-teutoburgia .html
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!