Bike Touring Highlight
The lighthouse of Westkapelle has as a substructure the former church tower of a three-aisled church of St. Willibrord which was built between 1458 and 1470.
The brick church tower was rebuilt into a lighthouse in 1818. Here, the previous spire was removed and replaced by a lamp housing with 15 oil lamps. In 1931 the church burned down, but the tower remained functional. In 1851 an improved lens was installed, but since a strong Leutschfeuer was needed, in 1906 the current lamp house was set on the tower.
During World War II, the tower was used by the German occupiers as a watch tower. The bombardment for the liberation of Walcheren, which destroyed large parts of Westkapelle, did not hit the tower. Since the German troops had destroyed the optics of the Leutschfeuers during the withdrawal, this had to be replaced. In 1951, today's Leutschfeuer was installed.
The tower has a total height of 53m, with the walk-in platform is 40 meters high. The eigetnliche beacon is in about 50m height. There are 218 steps down to the platform. Its light has a thickness of 2.6 million cd and is visible at 28 nautical miles.
The lighthouse is at the same time a carrier for mobile radio antennas.
April 3, 2018
The lighthouse in Westkapelle is one of the landmarks on Walcheren.
The lighthouse is open on Tuesdays and Saturdays. The exact times are seasonal.
Behind the lighthouse is a memorial to the inhabitants of Westkapelle, who died in October and November 1944 during the liberation of Walcheren, the youngest being 1 month old.
Who is interested in this time and life in the old Westkapelle, the Dijk and Oorlogsmuseum is recommended.
April 2, 2018
The lighthouse (Dutch vuurtoren) of Westkapelle on the Walcheren peninsula in the Dutch province of Zeeland is located one kilometer inland. On a preserved Gothic church tower, the lighting system is installed at about 50 m height.
There is more here:
September 19, 2018
1818 a coastal light was installed on the spire. That was not so outlandish, because even before the high tower served the ships as a landmark during the day. In 1831 there was a fire in the tower. The remainder of the church building, the nave, was destroyed. The tower was preserved and henceforth served as a lighthouse (Wikipedia).
August 18, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.