This memorial stone points to something that few locals still know:There used to be a mill ditch here, the water of which was drawn here from the Isenach in order to supply the Pfeffinger mill (today on the B 271) with water. This mill moat only existed until the Isenach was relocated in 1737 to supply the saltworks with water, which then also meant the end of the Pfeffinger mill.Since the "Old Wine Road" from Dürkheim to Ungstein used to run over the small saddle between Michelsberg and Spielberg, a new road was built here in 1750. It followed the course of the old Mühlgraben.Today the remains of the old bridge over this (no longer recognizable) mill moat are mostly overgrown by plants. The "Green Gate" memorial stone still indicates this.Source: Information from the information boards on the Geo Adventure Trail
September 9, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!