The inland port in Hamburg is the oldest part of the port of Hamburg, which is still used as a port facility. It lies in front of the Nikolaifleetmündung and is separated in the west by the Niederbaumbrücke from the low harbor. The northern edge are the quays, which formed the first quay facilities of the inland port from the 14th century, and the Otto Sill bridge, which spans the junction of the Alsterfleet with the Schaartor lock with the elevated railway viaduct. South is the Kehrwieder. The inland port has only one pier on the quay, which can be accessed only by inland vessels, and a quay on Kehrwieder and serves mainly as a western exit of the customs channel. At times it is the location of the river boat church.The inland port was extended in the 16th century with an upstream roadstead, when the main transshipment still took place in the inner city of Nikolaifleet. With the construction of the Hamburg ramparts at the beginning of the 17th century, the port was incorporated into the city with the creation of a tree wall. Due to the expansion of goods traffic and the concomitant increase in ship sizes, this upstream port section became increasingly important, but at the turn of the 18th century it had to be extended by the Niederhafen into the Elbe. Until 1880, it served as a sailing ship port, then the sailors were relocated to Kleine Grasbrook to free the inland port as part of the free port development as passage of the customs channel. A last relic from the time of the port handling is the New Crane east of the High Bridge. In 1858 this iron heavy-duty crane with integrated weighing device replaced a wooden crane erected in 1568 in the same place.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!