The sugar wholesaler Louis Gerloff had his villa built in the style of the Italian Renaissance from 1888 to 1889 by the builders Joseph Fröhlich and Philipp Georg Baumkauff. The architect was the city councilor Ludwig Winter, who was related to Gerloff. The ground floor is plastered and structured with a fine joint cut. Filigree cast-iron stems set the tone. Upstairs, the antiquing window frames dominate. Under the sweeping cornice is a mezzanine floor (mezzanine floor). Beginning in 1983, the building was founded by the Walter Dexel Form Collection of the Municipal Museum and a branch of the Municipal Music School. After being acquired by the Braunschweigischer Kulturbesitz Foundation, it was rebuilt and restored and has served as the »Haus der Braunschweigische Stiftungen« since 2005.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!