Some buildings of the Speicherstadt have something special, the "Speicherstadtrathaus" is one of them.The building was constructed as part of the third construction phase during the construction of the Speicherstadt between 1899 and 1912 on the former island of Wandrahm, in the street Bei St. Annen 1, as part of Block U, on 463 oak piles. The construction of the building took place between 1902 and 1904. Architects were Johannes Grotjan and Hanssen & Meerwein Bernhard Hanssen and Wilhelm Emil Meerwein. The inauguration was filled on June 1, 1904. The building was planned for the Hamburg Freeport Warehouse Company, now Hamburg Port and Logistics AG, as the head office and was the successor of the 1887 inaugurated headquarters building on Sandtorkai 1, which had become too small in the meantime. The management building was also built by Hanssen & Meerwein.Not only the management building, the predecessor building, but also Hanssen & Meerwein and Grotjan were involved in the construction of the Hamburg town hall. The naming Speicherstadtrathaus alludes to the significance of the HFLG for the Speicherstadt. But also in architecture there are similarities with the Hamburg City Hall. The bell tower towers above the surrounding buildings and the façade bears the traits of "eclecticism". "Romanesque arches" and "Renaissance windows" were combined with "baroque" decorative elements. In addition, the brick façade of Saxon gemstone was loosened up by sandstone strips of gray Oberkirchen sandstone. The coat of arms of the HFLG is located in the heavily decorated gable. The tower helmets are shod with copper. The construction of the building cost 600,000 Reichsmarks and took two years.Today it is the administration building of the Hamburg harbor and logistics AGSource:
The Speicherstadtrathaus is the administrative building of the Hamburger Hafen und Logistik AG. It is located in the historic warehouse complex of Speicherstadt in the Port of Hamburg. The Speicherstadt has been a listed building since 1991 and has been registered with the neighboring Kontorhausviertel on the list of the UNESCO World Heritage Site since 5 July 2015.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!