Bike Touring Highlight
The sight side of the Old Town City Hall with the dazzling decorated gable with the arms of old-town council families
The main portal with head-pictures of four city personalities of the 15th and 16th century
The Roland right next to the main portal of 1474
October 21, 2017
The Old Town Hall with the Roland is the administrative center of the Havel city.
In the middle of the 15th century, the council and writing offices were first created.
In the years 1470 to 1480, the main building with the tower was built. Until the unification of the two Brandenburg cities in 1715, the town hall was the administrative center of the old town.After that, it lost its role as an administrative seat and thus in importance. In the other eventful history, the rooms of the town hall were used as a barch factory (until 1803), as a warehouse, department store and grain magazine (until 1819).By decision of the Prussian royal government, the extension of the Old Town Hall to the provincial and city court was decided and 1819 passed for a few decades of its destination. After the sale of the Town Hall in 1863 to the garrison, the buildings were used as garment chambers and detention cell. With the deterioration of the structural condition, the town hall became a ruin and had to be vacated in 1904 due to dilapidation. It threatened the demolition. Only in 1910, after the repurchase of the Old Town City Hall by the city, the reconstruction (until 1912) was decided in today's view.Particularly noteworthy is the dazzling decorated gable with the arms of old-town council families on the show side of the Old Town Hall, the main portal with heads of four city personalities of the 15th and 16th centuries and the right next to the main portal Roland from 1474.
May 4, 2019
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.