In the 19th century, under the management of the Wendland family of gardeners, numerous new greenhouses were built, including the palm house built in 1849 by court building officer Laves, which already five years later housed the most valuable and species-rich palm collection in Europe. In 1880 Richard Auhagen's Great Palm House was built, a 30 m high plant palace made of glass and iron with galleries and water fountains. All greenhouses were destroyed during the Second World War, but the traditional show garden was gradually rebuilt. In 2000 the rainforest house (today Sea Life) was built as a replacement for the large palm house, under whose glass dome the diverse flora of the tropical rainforest could be admired.
April 23, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!