Bike Touring Highlight (Segment)
The memorial stones bear the name of the Leipzig writer Dr. T. Apel (1811-1867), who built the first 44 monuments between 1861 and 1864 at his own expense. These were made of sandstone and were about 1.50 m high. The odd-numbered stones had a round top, bore the letter "N" and marked the positions of the troops of the Emperor of the French Napoleon (1769-1821). The even-numbered stones had a topped pyramidal shape and were labeled "V", marking the positions of the allied forces against Napoléon. In addition, all stones on the pedestal bore the name of the sculptor A. F. Aster and the year of installation.
August 30, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!