Bike Touring Highlight
The first chapel - only to be seen in historical pictures - was a converted farmhouse with a turret on its gable. It once stood in the area of today's cemetery entrance on Fuhlsbüttler Strasse.In 1880 the first chapel 1 on Kapellenstrasse took over its function as a temporary measure. It was designed as a simple wooden structure. It then took 85 years before the makeshift building was replaced by a permanent building with 70 seats in 1965. The preservation authorities were not interested in the preservation of the old building. For the design of the second building, the chief planner of the then structural engineering office, Dr. Ursula Suhr.
The building with a flat roof, a high, pointed tower and an inner courtyard is a typical example of public buildings from the 1960s in Hamburg in terms of its architecture and construction. The inner courtyard is used for room lighting, both for the celebration hall and for the waiting area. Four square wall reliefs by the sculptor Nanette Lehmann symbolize "the simple facts of this life" on its south-facing interior wall: man, woman, birth and death.
The chapel was renovated in 1995 and brought up to date technically. Unfortunately, at the same time, the prefabricated block house of the adjoining cemetery nursery seriously impaired its architectural effect on the southern surroundings.fof-ohlsdorf.de/thema/2007/98s05_kapelle-friedhof-ohlsdorf
May 31, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!