The villa-like building on the dump of the Menden shaft was only built between 1922 and 1924 as a civil servants' residence for the Moritz Stecher leather works and temporarily served Moritz Erhard Stecher, the grandson of the company's founder Moritz Stecher, as a residence. Its name carried over to the so-called "Erhardhaus". After 2000, it was renovated in accordance with the requirements of a monument and continued to be used as a residential building. To the south-east of the building there is a pedestal, the original function of which is still unknown.
Single-storey plastered solid building in open development. Entrance front with triangular gable and four-part window group, porch with fluted pillars, door with straight lintel and straight, profiled roof, original entrance door, basement level with plastered cuboids. In addition to bricks, it was mainly erected using so-called "engraving stones", artificial stones made in the neighboring leather factories. Finished with a hipped roof with dormer windows. Inside, all room and apartment doors have been preserved (coffered doors with glass inserts, these with rungs arranged in rays). Architecturally sophisticated building in very good original condition.
Due to the design quality and typical characteristics of the time, the Erhardhaus is of architectural and historical importance. As an important part of the ensemble of converted former open-cast buildings and newly built residential developments by Lederwerke Moritz Stecher that emerged after the end of mining, it is also of great significance for the local history.
March 2, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!