The colony is named after the farm that Franz Haniel bought together with the surrounding 200 acres of land in 1856 in order to build apartments for his workforce. The first buildings were built on Viktoriastrasse as early as 1860. Street after street, new houses were built, but ultimately could not keep up with the growing employment figures.Between 1890 and 1895, according to the plans of engineer Dreyer and architect Stolze, the building office of the Zeche Zollverein created the straight row of houses along Meerbruchstrasse, which still gives the best impression of the former settlement. Fifty houses of the same construction and design line up to the turning point of the cul-de-sac, only interrupted by a railway line and the later Zollvereinstrasse.Each house consists of four residential units with their own entrance, basement and rooms on the ground floor and so-called mezzanine floor. The separate entrances were intended to prevent disputes between the tenants, and the division of floors to ensure an undisturbed family life in addition to the night's sleep for the shift-working miner. In addition, the brick-built cross plan was inexpensive to build. The apartments usually had 60 square meters of living space, but there were also versions with 70 square meters for families with many children.In front of the house is a small front garden with old, alley-like trees, behind the row of houses there are small farm buildings and the typical gardens for self-sufficiency, including a stable for keeping goats or pigs. Some of these gardens have now been replaced by buildings in the second row.Other colonies are the Ottekampshof and the Zollverein III colony.SOURCE: WIKIPEDIA
January 24, 2021
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!