The Lower Orangery was built in 1711-1713. It separates the upper from the lower castle garden. It is the only building in the extension under Johann Ernst that has a façade layout. This consists of 15 axes and is modeled after the orangery of the Palace of Versailles. This break in the facade design was possible because of the Lower Orangery, the high castle is not visible and therefore the facade did not have to be adapted to the high castle. The lower orangery is south facing. It is used for wintering potted plants.
Upper Orangery from the castle gardenThe Upper Orangery is located south of the Hochschloss and connects the Hochschloss with the Schlosskirche and the Schlosspark. It was built in the years 1703-1705 according to plans by Julius Ludwig Rothweil. It consists of a central ballroom and two flanking galleries. The Upper Orangery has east facing the castle garden large French windows. Above the Mittelrisalit the alliance crest Johann Ernst von Nassau-Weilburg and Maria Polyxena of Leiningen-Hartenberg is attached to a triangular gable.She fulfilled several tasks. On the one hand, it served as her predecessor, as a church, through which the high castle is directly connected to the church, on the other hand as a large ballroom of the castle. Furthermore, exotic plants were housed here for the winter. With the establishment of the lower orangery it was almost only used as a ballroom. Rothweil Delft wanted tiles for the wall cladding. As these were too expensive for the client Johann Ludwig, he had 1548 tile imitations painted by Georg Friedrich Christian Seekatz in the upper orangery.
Weilburg Castle Park
The terraces of Weilburg Palace Park seen from Konig-Konrad Square
The predecessor of the castle garden was created 1523-1559. For this purpose, the cemetery had to be relocated to Frankfurter Straße, which had previously been located between the Hochschloss and the church.
As part of the castle development, the garden was redesigned as a French garden. It was created by the two gardeners Francois LeMarie from 1700 and Johann Michael Petri from 1708. It extends southwards from the high castle over several artificial terraces downhill. Its total area is about 3.3 hectares.
Source; Wikipedia (Extract) de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schloss_Weilburg
August 3, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!