Mountain Biking Highlight
The bull house was built around 1850 as a stable for bulls and as an apartment for the shepherd, and was later farmed for three generations by the Palm tenant family.
Shortly after the end of World War II, dramatic events occurred here. On May 16, 1945, five people were shot here at the former bull house and the sheep house, today's Gasthaus Sandgrube.
About 20,000 former Russian prisoners of war from all over southern Germany were accommodated in the Heuberg camp and were waiting for their return home.
In the dispute over sheep, the tenant of the sheep house shot a uniformed Russian and fled to Ebingen. In order to retaliate, a group of former prisoners of war killed 16-year-old shepherd Heinz Auer and farmhand Johannes Schweizer and burned the building down with 12 cattle and a horse.
On the same day, the men ransacked the bull house and shot the tenant's wife, Emilie Palm. Unfortunately, their daughter returned from Ebingen shortly afterwards. The accompanying Gerhart Fischer was also shot by the looters. The bull house was burned down. Today only the foundations of it can be found.The detailed story can be found, at least at the moment, on the website of the Black Forest messenger:schwarzwaelder-bote.de/inhalt.albstadt-kriegsgefangene-zuenden-hoefe-an.a2ff8c66-ab89-4cfb-889a-226cea943295.html
July 19, 2020
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.