Bike Touring Highlight
The church dedicated to the martyr Laurentius was built in several stages. The oldest part of the present building was a hall, probably from the middle of the 13th century, which is preserved as today's sanctuary. Early and late Gothic forms are still recognizable, as in the south pre-built old sacristy. The nave with two yokes is zweischiffig. At the time of the Reformation, the church became Protestant around 1540.The city fire in 1566 damaged the roof. Achim von Bredow († 1594), who held the church patronage, had the church remodeled. Dating back to 1580, this tower dates back to the Baroque period, and was roofed to the taste of the time. It was later replaced by a pyramid roof.At the end of the 19th century, the façade of the stone church was plastered. The plaster was renewed in 1992 during the restoration, only the north side shows unpainted masonry.During the First World War, the church lost two of its bells at a metal collection; the bronze bell was preserved. In 1926, the church received a second bell made of steel. The bronze bell was melted down during the Second World War. In 1951 a second steel bell was added to the bell of 1926.Sources:
June 19, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!