Bike Touring Highlight
The Levin Park is a green area in the Weststadt in Göttingen with a size of 35,800 m². He is a legacy of wool weaving in Göttingen. Today it is a green and water area on the edge of the Göttingen industrial area and stands out due to its abundance of birds, among other things by a colony of gray herons.
From 1712 to 1846 the site belonged to the Camlotten- und Drogetten-Fabrique, a manufactory of Johann Heinrich Grätzel. After its bankruptcy, the site was taken over by Albert Hermann Levin, who already ran a wool factory in Rosdorf. To operate the mechanical looms, the Grone was dammed in 1873 and created a larger pond. Around 1880, the son of the factory owner had a garden built around the pond, which should also serve as a break area for the workers. Also, a small bath house was established in 1897 at the pond (Levinstaße 8, 2017 used as a restaurant). In 1929 the factory closed. From 1934, an airfield was set up west of Göttingen, and the park area was also used for military purposes. The largest part of the park was used by the staff of the air force office as recreation and leisure area. After the Second World War, the airfield was dissolved and the park was transformed in 1959 to urban green space. Since 1961, Levin Park has been owned by the city of Göttingen. In 1978 a large playground was created.
The Levin Park has been listed as an architectural monument since 1982. Together with two factory villas and former buildings of Levin's spinning mill, it forms a protected group of buildings.
June 12, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!
Our Tour recommendations are based on thousands of activities completed by other people on komoot.