The St. Johannis Church in the old town of Göttingen is a three-aisled Gothic hall church from the 14th century. With its towers visible from afar, it is one of the city's landmarks. Her patron is John the Baptist.
On the site of the churches had once stood a Romanesque basilica whose foundations in 1927 z. T. were exposed. It is first mentioned in documents in 1272. From her the only one the north portal, a round arch portal with Cistercian Zackenbogen, received. It was integrated into the gothic new building. It is assumed that even the lower part of today's west portal dates back to the Romanesque period. The oldest part of the today's church is the brick-built in Kalkbruchsteinen tower substructure.
The Church of St. John is one of the four inner-city churches that can be seen from the Four Church view. For centuries, the so-called "Türmerwohnung" was located in one of the towers, from where a fire station was kept. Since the 1920s, a student could live there free of charge, if he performed in return tower visits. After the tower burned down in 2005 during a renovation, this custom was not resumed.
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!