Until February 1371 stood a castle on the Kalkberg, from which the Principality of Lüneburg-Brunswick was governed. As part of the Lüneburg War of Succession the sovereign castle on the Kalkberg was destroyed as well as the nearby Benedictine monastery of St. Michael, which then moved to the city.The obelisk halfway up commemorates the garrison church built in 1663 for the ducal troops on the Kalkberg and demolished in 1783 due to dilapidation.The cannon on the summit is of recent origin and was only fired when convicts had escaped from the neighboring penitentiary.The Lüneburg Building Council Eduard Schlöbcke prevailed that the remainder of the Kalkberg 1932 was one of the first nature reserves in Germany. The former quarry is still recognizable on craggy steep walls. At the bottom of the Kalkberg there is a small wetland biotope with reed beds and swampy areas. The rock walls have only a very sparse vegetation with animals and plants of the dry grass communities. On an area of 3.6 hectares settled 180 species of flowering plants, including some heat, light and kalkliebende species that are otherwise native only to southern Central Europe. Some smaller caves are inhabited by bats.Sources:
September 13, 2017
In the know? Log-in to add a tip for other adventurers!